A car seat is a must when traveling with a 1-year-old baby. A 1-year-old is still trying to balance and coordinate his/her limbs and the entire body posture. So, it is very necessary for them to sit in a car seat. We searched almost 50 car seat variety to get the list of best car seats for 1 year old. Our team tested all of them for safety, security, comfort, durability, etc. So, let’s start with them one by one.
Best Car Seat For 1 Year Old
1. Britax B-Safe Infant Seat – Best Car Seat For 1 Year Old
- Britax endeavours safe wash infant car seat, Otto
- Surrounded in safety: 2 layers of side impact protection, quick adjust head protection, anti rebound bar, steel frame, and impact absorbing base
- Ride share ready: European Belt Guide allows for installation without the base as needed
- Travel system ready: Compatible with all Britax Single Strollers using the built in adapters, B Lively Double, and all BOB Gear Strollers (adapter sold separately)
- Fits: Rear facing 4 35 pounds, seat area 13 inch D, 8.75 inch W; Dimensions 17.75 inch W x 25 inch H x 30.62 inch D
Nothing can beat the efficiency of this car seat. This is what all of us want for our little ones to keep them calm and joyful during the car ride. It is manufactured for safety, comfort, and convenience. The most amazing thing about this one is that it surrounds your child completely for enhanced safety with its two-layer protection, quick head-adjust protection, side-impact protection, and the impact-absorbing base. It protects 0-24 months babies from any kind of crash forces felt inside the car due to bumpy road, sudden jerk, or an unforeseen accident. This particular model makes sure your baby’s spine and head are protected all the time. Beleive us, when in this your baby won’t feel the slightest force. It’s important to go for extra safe car seats for 1 year old as an injury during this time might remain for the entire life.
For easy maintenance, the seat has an easy-wash cover with a knit construction that naturally a flame retardant. You can machine wash and dry it. Last but not least, you get it in 4 different colors.
Nothing can beat the features, safety, comfort, and durability of Britax infant seat. Buy it if you are looking for a safest car seat for 1 year old.
2. Doona Infant Car Seat – Best Portable Car Seat For 1 Year Old
- PRODUCT FEATURES & BENEFITS: One simple motion operation – From car seat to stroller in seconds, 5-point harness, adjustable handlebar - also acts as an anti-rebound bar inside the car, 3 Layer Side Impact Protection, removable and washable fabric, highest safety & quality standards, TUV and FAA Aircraft Approved for travel, baby Safe materials & breathable textiles, 2 years manufacturer's warranty.
- COLOR: All Black Patterned Textile Fabric, New Stretch Material Canopy in Flame Red, New Stretch Material Shoulder Pads in Flame Red, New and Improved Breathable Inner Foams, Charcoal Aluminum Handle, Dark Grey Bamboo Infant Insert, Dark Gray Bamboo Head Support with Memory Foam.
- USAGE: Suitable from 4 lbs. to 35 lbs, Max. 32 Inches Height, Rear facing only, Car Seat weighs 16.5 lbs, Base weighs 10.3 lbs.
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Doona Infant Car Seat, Doona Bamboo Infant Insert, Doona Bamboo Head Support, Doona Vehicle Seat Protector, Doona Base
- PRODUCT DIMENSIONS: Folded: 23.6x17.3x26 Inches; Unfolded: 39x17.3x32.2 Inches; Weight: 16.5 Lbs.
Doona Infant seat is one of the hot-selling products. Customers love it for its efficiency and portability. It’s a 2-in-1 seat that can be used as a car seat for 1 year old and also as a stroller. Therefore, it will suffice two of your requirements. You can convert the car seat into stroller in seconds by one single motion operation. It is the next generation car seat for newborns and infants up to 24 months. Not only this, it is the world’s first complete and fully integrated travel system. It is designed well to be used in car or on streets without disturbing your chid’s sleep
The car seat cover is removable and thus easy to maintain. We also love the color variety. You get it in different colors like blue, pink, black, cherry, navy blue, burgandy, etc.
This is a revolutionary portable car seat and stroller for 1 year old. It offers maximum safety and practical solution for parents on-the-go. It is tested and certified Infant car seat so you can buy it with a close eye.
3. UPPABABY Messa Seat – Best Front-Facing Car Seat For 1 Year Old
- NEW! 2018 MESA Infant Car Seat
- SMART Secure system installs in seconds
- Adjustable no-rethread headrest with integrated Side Impact Protection. Storage pockets for harness buckles
- Attaches to VISTA and CRUZ strollers without adapters
- SPF hideaway canopy; Carry handle with stroller release button
Messa by Uppababy is another lovely, featurefull, and affordable car seat cum stroller in the market. Customers love it for its 2-in-1 feature and affordable pricing. In spite of low pricing, it has all that you need in a seat or a stroller. What we loved the most was the easy installation. By far, this is the most easy to install seat for the mothers. Thanks to its smart secure system that has LATCH connectors to install it in a jiffy.
Moving on to the seat cover, the cover has breathable and machine washable fabric. So, you can wash it regularly to maintain proper hygiene. Lastly, you get four colors- white, black, grey, and red. Choose the one that excites you the most.
An affordable best car seat for 1 year old. We recommend it as it can be converted to a stroller too for the on-go travel and also has all the standard safety features.
4. Chicco NextFit Zip – Best Rear-Facing Car Seat For 1 Year Old
- Zip-off padding is soft and machine washable for comfort and convenience
- Remarkably easy installation with a 9-position Recline Sure leveling system, Super Cinch LATCH Tightened and Lock Sure seat belt tightening system
- Superior Duo Guard protection with a deep rigid shell and EPS energy-absorbing foam, plus a steel-reinforced frame
- Accommodates growing children with a removable newborn positioner, no-rethread harness, 9-position headrest, and easy transition from rear-facing to forward-facing
- Includes dishwasher-safe, space-saving Cup Folder. Material - polyester
This is another hot-selling safest car seat for 1 year old boy or girl. Chico next fit is a convertible car seat for kids from 0-4 years of age. You can use this one as the best rear-facing car seat for 1 year old or best forward-facing car seat for 1 year old. When in rare position it can suffice weight up to 35 pounds and when in front-facing position it can suffice weight up to 65 pounds. We would recommend it use as per your baby’s weight and height. It’s quite durable and can easily last your baby for good 4-5 years.
Moving on to its padding and cover, it has a zip-off padding which is soft and machine washable for comfort and convenience. Lastly, to hold on drinks and snack it has a removable cup holder.
Buy it if you are looking for a safe, front or rear-facing car seat for your 1 year old.
5. Graco Extend 2 Fit Convertible Car Seat
This one is similar to Chico Next Fit seat. Both of them are good brands and have the similar quality you can choose any one of them as per your liking. Graco Extend 2 fit is a convertible car seat for kids from 0-4 years of age. You can use this one as the best rear-facing car seat for 1 year old or best forward-facing car seat for 1 year old. When in the rare position it can suffice weight up to 35 pounds and when in the front-facing position it can suffice weight up to 65 pounds. Check your baby’s weight and height before using it in any position.
It also has a removable car. Prefer putting it for wash after 5-6 travel times. The cover is breathable and stain-proof. It is made up of fabric that does not hold stain once they dry up. The only glitch we found in this are the two cup holders. They are square in shape so you can fit any round bottle or feeder in it.
A durable convertible car seat for a 1 year old boy/girl. You can trust this one as it comes from a reputed brand and has all the features for enhanced safety and security.
Buying Guide – What To Look For When Buying A Car Seat For 1 Year Old
Buying a car seat can be easier than it sounds if you know about your needs and budget. There a plethora of options in the market. All are not worthy enough to buy. You need to make sure the product you are buying matches your needs and is worth the price. The best way to do this is by jotting down the features that are a must. If you are unsure of how to do it, we have a guide for you. In this guide, you will find out the considerations to look for in a car seat which would make your understanding easier. So, let’s start.
1. Types Of Car Seat
The market has a lot of types of car seat. All of them don’t solve the same purpose. You should know which seat you want for your little one. The top types available are as follows:
a) Rear-facing Car Seat For 1 year Old
This is meant basically for newborns and infants up to 24 months. A rear-facing car seat fit to a child weighing from 0-50lbs. American Association of Pediatrics recommends this one for one-year-old and that is why most parents go for it. If you want the top-performing seats which solve this purpose they are Britax B-Safe Infant Seat and Doona Infant Car Seat.
b) Forward-facing Car Seat For 1 Year Old
This is also a good option as they last from 1 year to 5-year-old kids. It is because they can see you as you are sitting right in front of them driving the seat. Also, you can turn back and keep an eye on their activities. The best one in this range is NextFit Zip and .
c) Booster Car Seat
These seats are meant for kids above 5 years of age. A booster position raises the height of the seat so the belt fits correctly to the child over the collarbone and goes across the upper thighs.
The harness is the belt that you put on the child for protection and good snug fit. It ensures safety, security, and prevents the child from falling out with a sudden crash force. The belt comes from the shoulder to the stomach and then go down towards the thighs from the center. The market has 5 points and 3 points of harness. The car seats for 1 year old should have a five-point harness only. We don’t recommend 3 point harness belt for 1-year-old.
A car seat help to raise the child so that they can sit high for a comfortable ride. The strap goes across the shoulder and in between the thigs to give support from all the sides. While putting the harness make sure the child’s head should not extend above the back of the car’s seat to provide comfortable seating. For this, you can compare the dimensions of your car seat and the seat that you would be buying for your baby. In addition to this, you should make sure the product you are buying has enough cushioning to give the coziness and a snug fit.
This is another crucial consideration in a car seat. It’s a costly investment, so choose a product that lasts you in the longer run. Not only this, a durable one can also be passed to the younger siblings or cousins. You can check the durability by looking at its body make, cushioning, cover seat. Keep in mind the seat you are choosing should grow with your child and last as long as your child needs it. The best one in this category are Britax B-Safe Infant Seat, Doona Infant Car Seat NextFit Zip, and .
Installation is often a challenge especially if you are doing it for the first time. Most of the reputed brands give a proper installation guide or a detailed video for customers’ convenience. In addition to this, most of them have a good latch system that fits in second to the car seat for faster and quick installation. A lock that would tell the seat is locked and fixed would be an added benefit.
Spills and food stains are inevitable when it comes to toddlers. It is because they often end up dropping food and drinks. Therefore, a removable seat cover is a must. So, whenever there is a spill you can remove it and wash it. Even when there is no spill prefer washing the cover after every two weeks to avoid germ build up over it. In addition to this, machine washable covers are much more convenient.
This is again a crucial one but varies from individual to individual. If this is your first purchase, you can pick a product that would be durable. You have a lot of options in the different price range from the cheap ones to the high-end ones. So, it would be better if you plan your budget and choose the one fitting in your price range. Our post has all the products from low range to high range, choose the one you want.
The best car seat for 1 year old would be the one that provides optimal comfort, security, a snug fit, and is durable. The smart car seats have features like 5 point harness, well-cushioned comfortable seats, storage for snacks and drinks, and a firm lock system. We found that Britax B-Safe Infant Seat, Doona Infant Car Seat, and NextFit Zip are the top one available in the market today. However, there are a lot of other products too. Go through our buying guide, match your requirements and your budget and pick anyone from our list without a second thought.