A car seat is a necessity for your kid for a safe, secure, and stable drive. Your little one has outgrown the infant seat and now you are in search for the best car seat for 4 year old. The variety in the market would for sure puzzle you. To give you the best experience we have tested the worthy products and got an entire list of the top the top-performing models.
Best Car Seat For 4 Year Old
1. Britax Pinnacle – Best Car Seat For 4 year Old
- Toddler to Big Kid: Easily transition from harness to belt positioning booster as your child grows
- Easy installation: Patented ClickTight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 9 position harness with headrest for a comfortable, secure fit
- Surrounded in safety: 3 layers of side impact protection, steel frame, impact absorbing base, and forward movement reducing v shaped tether
- Fits: Forward facing harness mode 25 to 90 pounds, Booster mode 40 to 120 pounds; Maximum Dimensions: 22.5 W x 36 H x 21 D inches
Britax is one of the high-end models in the industry. Their seats are known for premium comfort, quality, and performance. Once you buy this one, it would surely last until your toddler turns to a big kid. It can be fully transitioned to handle the needs of a growing child. For the same it has different seating modes. We would recommend using the front-facing harness belt mode for kids from 4 to 6 yeara of age and the belt-positioning mode for the 6 to 10 years old. We also like its Click Tight patented seta installation which reassures with the click sound that the seat is properly buckled.
To store stuff, it has two removable cup holders. The holders are quite spacious. Lastly, the seat cover is washable and the other parts can be wiped using a damp cloth.
One of the top performing car seat for 4 year old. You can buy it with a close eye and be at peace for the next 5-6 years while traveling.
2. Graco 4Ever – Safest Car Seat For 4 Year Old
Graco is another pioneer when it comes to kid’s safety products. This is their supreme model loved by parents all around the world. Customers love it because it can be used as a rear-facing seat for infants, front-facing seats for toddlers, and high-belt positioning seat for older kids. We loved the way that one buy keep you sorted for good 10 years depending on the usage. Our test suggests, to use it as forward-facing toddler seat from 20 to 65 pounds, booster seats in high back belt-positioning from 30 to 100 pounds, and backless belt-positioning mode from 40 to 120 pounds.
Moving on to its seat cover, its breathable, machine washable, and well-cushioned to keep it hygienic and clean all the time. The sad part is you don’t have color options in it.
The safest car seat that can be used from birth to 10 years of age. It has different modes to provide the required fit and comfort to the growing child. Consider it as a one-time investment for your child’s safety.
3. Diano Radian 3RXT – Spacious Car Seat For 4 Year Old
- JOY OF THE JOURNEY: From birth, keep your little one rear-facing longer to 40 lbs., and as they grow to 100 lbs. (10 years approx.) our long-range lifespan protects your child facing-forward.
- THREES NOT A CROWD: For safety that fits 3 across the Radian 3RXT packs all our innovative safety features into a sleek and slim design that allows you to fit three across (in most mid-size vehicles). Now the whole family can travel, together
- LOVINGLY ENGINEERED: The Radian 3RXT is built with automotive-strength steel, engineered into a dual spine, which manages and dissipates energy with an unyielding structure to protect your baby. Our audible click SuperLATCH system makes installation easy.
- BUSINESS CLASS COMFORT: Inspired by the best in European style, our Radian 3RXT has bright soft fabric covers, and a memory foam seat bottom. Lined with energy absorbing foam, comfort and safety go hand in hand
- MADE OF SEATTLE: We are from Seattle, a city where being different is the norm and so is the Radian 3RXT. It folds flat, so you can travel the world and is FAA approved for use on an aircraft, so you can take safety with you wherever you go.
Diano Radian is another comfortable, large size car seat for children. The company suggests that the Radian model can be used from 0-10 years of age in all the rear, front, and booster mode. However, tests suggest it is not fit to be used in the rear-facing mode, because of its lengthy size, especially in small cars. Nevertheless, it fits best to child weighing between 30-120 lbs in front-facing and the belt-positioning booster mode. It is designed to occupy more off vertical space rather than horizontal letting more passengers sit in the car even when the seat is installed. It is a good option if you are a large family traveling together. The seat is only 17 inches wide to fit in all across vehicles.
Moving on to its seat cover its removable and machine washable. One unique thing is the variety of colors offered in this model. You have pink, blue, red, yellow, grey, black, and a few of the undertones of primary colors.
A great buy for small cars and large families as it give more space to other passengers to sit it while the seat is installed.
4. Kids Embrace 2-in-1 Belt – Fancy Car Seat For 4 year Old
- 5-POINT HARNESS SECURITY: Two position points at each shoulder, two position points at the child's hips, and one point where the harness buckles between the legs to give your child the best possible protection
- 3-HARNESS POSITION: There are three slots to position the harness shoulder straps depending on the age and height of your child. Shoulder straps should be at or just above the shoulders
- TWO MODE OPTIONS: Forward-facing five-point harness car seat is made for children between 22 and 65 pounds and 29 to 49 inches in height. Convert to a belt-positioning booster seat for older kids between 30 and 100 pounds and 38 to 57 inches in height
- SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety "Best Bet" rating for booster car seats; exceeds Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS 213)
- ADDED COMFORT: Three-position adjustable height headrest is equipped with energy-absorbing EPS foam. Two cup holders provide added convenience to hold drinks or store treats and small trinkets
If your 4 year old is an Avenger Characters fan than this one is definitely for him/her. The Spiderman Kids Embrace is the coolest item on our list. You get this one in other characters too like Hulk, Superman, Batman, Black Panther Captain America, and Iron Man. None of the competitors have come up with this kind of car seat cover in the industry. Not only it’s cool but also has quality features in it and is absolutely safe for a four-year-old. The seat has two modes the front-facing mode and the high-booster mode. This seat is not meant for infants and kids below 4 years of age as it lacks that kind of supreme snug fit required at that age.
It has two cup holders with decent space. The second worry we had with this was the latch and durability. We found it won’t be secured tightly if you have those old model cars wherein the seat has an altogether different design. For the latest SUV models, this might be a good buy.
The only fancy seat in the market with all the standard features. Nevertheless, it would be a good buy only if you own an SUV or some other vehicles on the same line.
5. Chico KidFi 2-in-1 – Best Booster Only 4 Years Or Older Kids
- DuoZone combined head and shoulder protection with 10 positions for growing children
- SuperCinch LATCH attachment and one-pull tightener helps keep KidFit in place and kid-ready for easy in/out
- ErgoBoost double foam padding and contoured seat design provide support in all the right places. Single Recline Seat Adjustment
- 2 space-saving cup holders fold away when not in use and are removable for easy cleaning
- Removable, machine-washable seat pad and armrest covers
KidFit is the only booster seat in the market that can handle a 4 year or older pretty well. It is an inexpensive seat that sits easily in almost all cars. It can handle weight from 30 to 110lbs easily. Make sure you cross check its height and weight requirement with your child for a safe ride. It has only one mode that is the high belt-positioning booster mode. In our perspective, this seat would give your kid the confidence to be independent during the ride.
What more is unique is the foldable cup holders that you can fold on for more free space when not in use. The seat is well-cushioned and you don’t have any additional seat cover. It would be better if you use it carefully as washing the entire seat is for sure a tedious job.
The only booster seat in the market meant for a 4-year-old kid. If your child is comfortable with high belt-positioning than it is definitely a good option.
6. Cosco Finale DX-2 – Best Budget-Friendly Car Seat For 4 Year Old
- The Cosco Finale DX 2 in 1 Combination Booster Car Seat features a 5 point safety harness that converts to a belt positioning booster seat as your child grows, IIHS Best Bet rating for use in booster mode
- With extended use in both of its 2 modes, this car seat accommodates children from 30 to 65 pounds forward facing with a harness, and as a belt positioning booster for toddlers and older kids 40 to 100 pounds
- Perfect for growing families and carpools, this lightweight seat is easy to move from car to car; 3 of these car seats are designed to fit side by side across the back seat of most vehicles
- An included removable and dishwasher safe cup holder on the side of this car seat allows your child to easily reach for their favorite drink or snack. Remove all dirt, mud and other debris using a damp cloth
- Remove the easy to clean booster car seat pad and toss it into the washing machine and then your dryer for stress free cleaning
If you are looking for a budget-friendly option, this can be a good one. Cosco Finale falls in the basic looking front-facing car seat for 4 year old. You can use it in booster mode as well when your child outgrows the forward-facing harness mode. It is a good option for four year or older kids only as it can handle weight between 35 to 120 lbs easily.
It has a removable dishwasher safe cup holder on the side to keep in the favorite drink. To maintain the hygiene the booster car seat pad can be removed and machine washed.
An affordable car seat with all the basic features and safety needs.
Buying Guide – What To Look For When Buying A Car Seat For 4 Year Old
Buying a car seat for 2 year old can be a tedious task when so many options are available to confuse you up. Everything available is not worth buying. You need to be careful and choose a product sufficing all your requirements. If you are unsure of how to do it, we have a guide for you. In this guide, you will find out the considerations to look for in a car seat which would make your understanding easier. So, let’s began:
1. Typer Of Car Seat
In the market, there are three major types of car seats. These seats are fit to different age groups. They are the rear-facing, front-facing, and high belt booster positioning seat. You get single modes seat and as well as seats with two or all three modes in it. If you are here that itself suggests that your child is 4 years old.
For this age group, the front-facing and the booster modes are best. The rear-facing mode is not meant for kids above 4 years of age. The front-facing mode is for 2 to 6 years and the booster mode is for 6-9 years. The seats with both front facing and the booster mode are best for this age group as you can use them for the next couple of years. Buying the rear-facing car seat is not a good idea for 4 years and above because your child would never fit in as they won’t fulfill the maximum height and weight measurement. The best ones in this category are Britax Pinnacle .
2. Harness Type
The harness is the belt that the children out on their bodies to protect for protection, safety, and a secure snug fit. These belt start from the back of their mid-shoulder and goes up along the shoulder till the stomach and then between the thighs. The harness should have a 5 point safety connection atleast. In the high-end models like Britax Pinnacle you get a 9 point safety. The 9 point is obviously safer than the 5 point one but the five-point one is no less.
A seat raises the child up so that they can sit high for a secure fit. Make sure that the seat has a good base, back support, and neck support. When they sit the harness belt should be tight enough for the child to not slide out easily. Also see, that the child’s head should not extend back of the car seat. The size of the car seat that you are choosing should not be less than the height of the seat inside the car. For safety, also focus on the cushioning and side support. A firm thick cushioning with 2 layers of support is a good choice as it makes sure that even the toughest crash forces keep your child safe inside.
It is an investment so it is a must for the product to be durable. A car seat with front-facing and booster mode lasts for good 5-7 years, only if it is a durable one. Later, when your child outgrows it you can pass it to the younger siblings or cousins. For the same, you can focus on the seat cushion, seat fabrics, and the construction frame. All the seats mentioned in our list passe dour durability test and thus are fit to buy.
Installation is often challenging especially if you don’t have an idea about technical things and you are doing it for the first time. It would be better and much easier if you have a proper installation guide or a detailed video guide. All the reputed brands provide a detailed guide to make installation simpler. Most of the products have a latch system that fits on to the car seat for firm installation. If there is a click latch system its better as you hear a click sound to confirm the installation.
Food stains and other spills are a common sight in the car if you have a toddler as they are still learning to have a grip over things. It’s quite obvious for your little one would spill milk, food, or any other food item on the seat. Therefore, a removable seat cover is a must. You can wash the covers when required and maintain a clean environment in and around your toddler’s seat.
Cost is a personal choice. You can go with the high-end costly models or can stick on to the basic ones. The high ones when few add-on features. On the other hand, the mediocre ones might lack the add-on features but they definitely provide a good level of safety. Our list has products in all ranges you can choose the one fitting your budget.
The best car seats for 4 year old are mentioned above. Believe us, they are best in all ways. They would provide excellent comfort, support, cushioning, safety, and would last for years over the years. Nevertheless, cross-check the features with your requirement and budget for a worthy buy. If you don’t wont to do all this directly go for our top pick Britax Pinnacle.